Saturday, November 17, 2007

Coach Kiley Inspiring Speech

The start of the speech
What I thought is a normal 6 miles Rose Bowl training turn out to be one of the most emotional experience I have with Team In Training. Before I get involved Team In Training, I always thought I fund raise to only find a cure for Leukemia. I know I am doing something good and I know I am making a difference with the few people I know. But my personnel connection kind of stop there.
However, my perception have been changing. My honored teammate Virginia Garner taught me that she is alive today because of Team In Training. Gleevec enables Virginia live a normal life (as long as she takes the drug) and this drug was made possible by research funded by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Little 5 years old Tyler and Coach Matt's brother give me new perspective about cancer and life value.
Today, Coach Kiley told us about his Dad's experience with cancer. The speech is very very emotional for Coach Kiley and the rest of the team. While Coach Kiley is talking, I can hear people sobbing. I am close to sobbing myself. I am not sure what to do. I notice some of my teammates down to listen, and I feel like this is the appropriate thing to do. However, I have a strong urge to look at Coach Kiley. I know Coach Kiley wants to tell us his story and remind the team that we are making a difference. I want to receive everything he said and I feel like looking at him is part of the receiving, so as much as I am not comfortable looking at Coach Kiley, I look at him for the whole speech. This is my way of showing respect to Coach Kiley and his Dad.
After the speech I feel like I am more connected to the cause. I am thankful to join Team In Training and I am more thankful to make a difference to people who have cancer. I would like to thanks all my donors again. Remember, your donation is making a big impact to cancer patient lives!

Louis

No comments: