Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Nike Human Race 10K [2 of 3]

Nike Human Race is my second running events within 26 hours. I wanted to do well on the Baldy Run so my plan is to just chill with Nike. There are many 10k I can do in a year but there is only one Mt Baldy Trail Race!

I got to the LA Colliseum around 6pm. I know it's 2 hours early but I wanted to get there early so I don't have to deal with the traffic!!! I parked my car and I saw this couple putting the timing chip on their shoe and I saw to myself where are their common sense? Out of all places they choice to hide next to their car on an open parking space. I think they do not realize that any drivers can just pull up to that space and hit them.

People with no common sense

After I finish my Togo sandwish I started to head in to the runner's area. It's good to see that finally the organizer know what people actually eat. My coaches always tell me don't eat something you don't usually eat before/during a race. I always said to myself, do I eat more luna bars or do I eat more hot dogs? Too bad I ate my Togo, otherwise I will get a hot dog and a coke.

Nike knows what people actually eat (See, this is why I tell my mentee to bring money with them on a race)

I moved on to the staging area. For a second I want to call up my many friends that are running this race, but I gave up because I figure it's impossible to find them. What am I going to tell them? Hey Eric where are you? I am the guy in red? (For those of you who don't know, Nike printed the BIB on their shirt so you have to wear this red shirt)

A sea of people with Red Shirts... including me

Eventhough this is only a 10K I do all the warmup as if I am doing a marathon. I ran, stretch, ran, go to the porta potty, ran, eat, drink, and stretch some more. While I was doing my warmup I actually bumped into my teammates Janet and Terry. I wished them good luck and continue my thing.

There was this offical warmup before the race. I thought it was kind of silly because they just blasted music and have people move their hands and jump around. I actually feel stupid doing that because I don't think that will help a person warm up at all. Fun factor 5, warmup factor -1.

The gun finally started and I start running. It's nice to run at night because it's not that hot. I light jog the first 3 miles because I don't want to be too tired for Mt Baldy. After mile 3 I am all warm up and I want to go fast. I passed a lot of people and I finished in 1:01:16.

I was sad that I did not stay for the Kanye West Concert because I needed rest for Mt Baldy.

People waiting for Kanye West Concert after the run

As I was walking back to my car I see a line of people waiting for something. I ask one of the guy and he said the line is for bag check pick up. I am glad that I did not check in my stuff and continue to my car.

Seriously, there were like 200-300 people waiting in line for bag check pick up

I got hungry on the way home so I went to eat ramen. Carbo loading for Baldy you know =)

You can see I run faster in the second half (This is called negative split) =P

No comments: