Sunday, August 17, 2008

America's Finest City Half Marathon (Last of Triple Crown)

I ran my 4th Half Marathons this year and I want to share what I learn to my teammates. Here are a few key points that I want to mention.

1. Make sure you have enough sleep. Since I still have jet lag from Hong Kong I was having a tough time driving down to San Diego. If I wasn't going for the triple crown, I will probably just park aside and sleep.

2. Make sure you get yourself enough time to pick up your BIB. I am usually very good at doing that (I took a day off to pick up my BIB for LA marathon on Fri). But this time I left LA around 1:20pm. With 2 hours to San Diego I should be there by 3:30pm. Wrong... I didn't get there til 4:30pm. I was stressing out and I was lucky to pick up my BIB before 5:00pm

3. I did the right thing but having a simple Sat. I checked into the hotel, got dinner/breakfast, got water in a supermarket, then went back to the hotel to prepare.

4. Lay everything out. Check, re-check, and double check

5. If you are checking out the hotel on the day of your race. Pack everything the night before so you are ready to check out before you head out to the race in the morning. I know sometime I will have enough time to come back for a shower, but why bother. If you are late in the race and you are hurt... this will only add more stress unless you are willing to pay for another day.

6. Get there early! I got to the parking lot early to take the shuttle to the starting point. lot of parking, lot of time for me to make last minute adjustment, no waiting at the bus, no waiting at the restroom.

7. Warm Up before the race. I don't care how slow you are 'planning' to run. When the gun goes off, you are going to run like a horse. If you do your warmup, you are less likely to get injuries. I didn't warm up in LA (because I was waiting for the restroom... remember point #6) and I got hurt... big time!

8. Easy on the downhill. People try to go faster on downhill. For me, I just keep the same pace so I don't hurt myself.

9. Listen to your body, feel your sweat. AFC wasn't that hot but it was very humid. When I put my hand on my back it was soak. I know I sweat a lot so I drink more water... but... at I find out later, I didn't take enough salt.

10. When you don't listen to your body, you pay for it later. When I was at around 12.5-6, my legs started to cramp, so I needed to slow down and take it easy. Remember I said I sweat a lot... well I drink enough but I didn't have enough salt on my body.

11. When you don't feel well. Stop and Rest. Well for some reason I was feeling a bit dizzy when I was at 12.8. I slow down and take a break. I saw a few people pass out along the way and I don't want to be one of them... well at least not in my TNT jersey. It's a disgrace to my coach.


My time: I was expecting to go under 2:20 but oh well

Overall
Place
Sex
Place
Div
Place
First NameLast NameSexAgeCityStateTimePaceBibGun
Time
10K
Split
Year
47242590440LouisKwanM30Monterey ParkCA02:27:2911:15100402:29:3701:03:43

No comments: