Sunday, January 20, 2008

Carlsbad Half Marathon

Pasta Party on Sat night. Just look at all these green and purple

Running next to the ocean is so refreshing!

I bumped into Leah parents, so I borrowed their signs. Go Leah and Greg



Pam, Jennifer, and Erin showing off their Medals!

Being Louis, I went to eat Shin Sen Gumi after the race

This weekend I went down to Carlsbad to run the Carlsbad Half-Marathon along with 8 of my teammates: Jennifer, Pam, Erin, Greg, Leah, Sheri, Emily, and Daisy. This is THE RACE for them because they are not doing a full marathon. I got down to Oceanside/Carlsbad in the early afternoon to do some sightseeing and picked up my BIB (race #6407). I then joined my teammates for the pasta party. I wasn't really full at the pasta party so I got a sandwich after. =P

On game day I got to the starting point ultra early and it was cold, I checked in my bag and did some warm up exercise. I finally get a hold of my teammates and we headed toward the starting line. All my teammates are in high spirit and we yell go team just in time for the race to start.

I walked the first mile with Jennifer, Sheri and Coach Matt. Sheri was having some issue with her MP3 player but I wasn't able to help her out. After mile 1 I said bye to them and I start running. After a while I caught up with Leah and Greg and I took a ton of pictures for them. By then we ran pass 3 bands already. There are a lot of music and a lot of people are cheering. You tend to forget the pain and keep going. And it's just so beautiful running by the ocean!

At mile 4 I saw the San Gabriel Chapter Cheer station. It's nice for them to drive all the way to Carlsbad just to give moral support. I also saw Leah's parent and I told them to expect Greg and Leah in any minute. I continue on and I caught up with Erin. Poor Erin was stuck waiting in line for the restroom *_*

After sometime I spot my Web Captain Holly and I took a picture of her. By then I think we are at around mile 8 or 9. I continue with my journey running at my pace, taking pictures, and cheering for other team in training runners by yelling 'Go Team' (I think this is a San Gabriel Valley thing because others TNT runners look at me kind of funny). So you know, I am just doing my thing and this lady ask me if I want a picture of myself. I told her sure so she took my camera and run ahead of me and snap this picture below. Let's just say that I am glad she gave me back my camera because I won't be able to catch up with her if she take off.

When I reach around 13 or 13.1 mile I start running... fast! I passed a lot of people and I feel very good about it. I heard Pam and others yelling my name but I am too focus to look. I race to the finish line with the time of 2:25:50 (11:08 per mile pace). I think I will run this next year to beat the time. After all my teammates come in, I drove back to LA.

1 comment:

R.E.M. Borja said...

Cool blog. I've done four seasons with SGV and my first one was with Coach Kiley and Alice. Great job with the fundraising and congrats on the season.